Monday, June 7, 2010

The Bomb of Vintage Lighting


Wow, I can't top that last post. Thanks Linda!

One of my favorite things to harp on (its ok, I've had my coffee) is someone, usually designers or editors saying with an air of authority, that this type or that type of antique light fixture is the only one which looks appropriate in a certain style of home and all other vintage light fixtures will look out of place. I would not have a problem with them if they said these are guidelines, but they are usually stated as rules.

One of my main reasons to disagree with this type of generalization is first and foremost it is just an opinion. Everybody is unique with a different sense of style and nostalgia. And this is what is important surrounding decisions concerning ones home environment. Yes I know this is an opinion as well and I make the effort to let that be known.

Yet another reason I disagree with them is that back in the day of vintage lighting styles did not change overnight. It took years for the transition of Art Nouveau to Arts & Crafts to Art Deco to occur. And there was certainly an overlap of styles when the styles were changing. This is evident in the vintage lighting catalogs we have one our website for everyone to see, free. Heck there was even a time when gas and electric was combined in the same antique light fixture. And I am sure there were designers back then saying these fire hazards were the explosive new style.



Listen to Your Eyes. PB



http://vintagelights.com/




No comments:

Post a Comment