Thursday, July 8, 2010

Vintage Lighting 101 - Shades







Last week I was listening to a webinar trying to understand some of the basics of social media. The moderators were very knowledgeable about the subject, bypassing some of the very basics one needs to understand, use, and appreciate social media, and going straight to the topic of discussion. They had erroneously assumed everyone had the same basic understanding of social media.
Mea culpa, mea culpa.
In an email conversation just 3 days ago I suddenly realized I had made the same mistake, assuming that the customer had that same basic understanding of vintage lighting shades. I now also realize that there was no reason to assume the customer had that information and remembered there was a time not so long ago that I too was in need of some education, (Thanks again, Billy).
The conversation was about the size of the "fitter" end of the shade. They were measuring the inside of the opening and I was measuring the outside of the opening. The fitter end of a shade is where the shade fits into, well, a fitter.
The above image shows where to measure the fitter end of a shade. The most common sizes of the fitter end of shades are; 2 1/4", 3 1/4", 4", and 6". The usual way a shade of this type is described is simply "it has a 2 1/4" fitter".

There are other sizes, but these account for over 95% of shades of this type.

So if there is anything unclear in any of my blogs, flickr or facebook descriptions please bring it to my attention, I appreciate it.


Listen to Your Eyes

No comments:

Post a Comment