Monday, May 24, 2010

It Takes a Keen Eye...


The above image illustrates what a typical fixture looks like before and after we get our hands on it. Before we purchase any fixture, such as the one on the left, we have to know a few things about it.
First and foremost, is it appealing to me and would others find it appealing, what should it look like when refinished, what would it take to get it into condition to sell, what would the projected selling price be, can the wiring be replaced and if so, what it would take to restore the wiring to a safe working condition, what pieces, if any, are missing, who would the target purchaser be, does anything about it look out of place, are its proportion and scale correct? Then a quick check for damage and anything that is hidden or concealed. And the final question, is this something we can make a profit on or in lieu of profit, is there any other compelling reason to purchase it? Typical market research, but it must be done almost instantly, with authority, and with an absolute belief that I will make the right choice to pursue it or not.
I used to have to think about all these questions; now it is second nature. I can decide if I am interested in a used fixture in seconds, How? I listen to my eyes and I trust that my brain knows the answer. It does.

Listen to Your Eyes. PB

www.VintageLights.com

No comments:

Post a Comment