Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Ready, Fire, Aim


We are just finishing up a set of 1920 - 30s "Storybook" style vintage ceiling fixtures. There are three 5 light, one 3 light, two 2 light, one pair of sconces and a very rare table lamp. I know I have had some of these fixtures for over 4 years, waiting until I could do justice to them by developing a finishing technique which would match the original finish and retain an appropriate sheen for an 80 year old light fixture. Looking back at the finishing process I am a bit surprised how little trial and error there was to arrive at the finished product this time. Using several different techniques, tools, and finishes in a very specific order produced the desired results. It was like my brain already knew what to do and I just had to be willing to follow. And I am very happy and satisfied with the results.


Interestingly this coincides with an upcoming issue of American Bungalow magazine due out the middle of this month. They are doing a short feature on Vintagelights.com and this set of vintage fixtures was one they may include.


I submitted their image not yet consciously knowing what the refinishing process would be, but I must have already known. Had I not pulled the trigger by submitting them for consideration in the feature who know how many more years it would have taken.


They will be our next featured item on our home page.




Listen To Your Eyes. PB






No comments:

Post a Comment